Friday, February 22, 2008

Vegan Ribz


While the name of this food sounds absolutely ridiculous, it is totally delicious! I loved ribs when I ate meat, but now the thought of the real thing grosses me out completely. I think the thing I liked most about ribs was the barbecue sauce. I don't think I even really like food, just the condiments I put on them. There is a reason why my father used to call me Condiment Girl.

But I digress.

This is a really cheap recipe, and I tend to always have the ingredients on hand. I also can get a huge bag of potatoes for 2 or 3 bucks, so I'll make mashed potatoes to go with them.



Originally found at www.vegfamily.com

Vegan Barbecue Ribz

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup of water
  • 2 Tbl spoons soy margarine
  • 3 Tbl spoons peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup wheat gluten
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce (more or less)
  • spices to taste (onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, etc)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat soy margarine and add the peanut butter, mixing it so that it's consistent throughout.

Mix the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, wheat flower and spices in a dry bowl. Add the water and knead until almost all of the dry powder is absorbed. Do not over-knead. This dough is really sticky.

Form the dough into a flat shape about one-half inch thick. Add one-half of the peanut butter mixture to the top of the flattened dough. Use your fingers to poke the peanut butter mixture deeply into the dough. Do this for about 30 seconds. Turn the dough over and pour the remaining half of the peanut butter mixture onto the dough, again using your fingers to poke into the dough.

Use kitchen scissors to cut strips of dough. Make them as long or as short as you like them. Lay out on a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, use a spatula to turn the "ribs" over. Spoon or brush on BBQ sauce and return to the oven.

Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and turn the ribs over again. Spoon or brush on some more BBQ sauce.

Bake for another 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy your hot, sweet and sticky "ribz!"

Makes enough for four.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Bookmarked!