Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Apple Crisp

Due to my overabundance of apples, I have made two apple crisps within the past week or so. Luckily I have friends who enjoy my baking so I didn't end up eating it all myself. For both batches, I used different kinds of apples. Cortlands are the best kind of apple for baking because they keep their shape very well and don't turn to mush. You can add different kinds with it to mix up the flavor a bit. The first one was a mix of Cortland, Ginger Gold and Honeycrisp. I'm not quite sure what the second one was a mixture of.



The recipe I use is the one from the recipe section over at The PPK.

Apple Crisp

9 x 13 baking dish (preferably glass)

Ingredients
For the filling
4 lbs apples
1/2 cup light brown sugar (I sprinkled only a little bit instead of using this much)
1/2 cup sugar (I also sprinkled only a little of this sugar)
1/2 cup apple juice or water (I used apple cider)
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves (Skipped these)


For the topping
1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup canola oil
3 tablespoon soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F

Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Dissolve the arrowroot in the apple juice or water. Set aside.

Place apples and raisins in the baking dish, add sugars and spices and combine everything well (you may need to use your hands to do this). Pour arrowroot mixture over everything.

To prepare the topping, in a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add oil, soymilk, and vanilla, mix well. Crumble topping over the apples. Bake for 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That looks SO good!

NJenn said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I love this recipe - and you're right: it's the definitive apple crisp. I'm very glad to have found your site - I may have to start cooking more!