Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Egg McVegans

I saw a recipe for Egg McVegans a long time ago on VegWeb, but it took me awhile to finally make it. I wish I hadn't waited so long! I tend to have tofu and english muffins on hand. If I only have one or the other, I will purposely go out and buy its partner.

Recipe originally found here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5087.0

Egg McVegans
1 package extra firm tofu
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
English muffins
cheeze (optional)
Vegenaise (optional, but highly recommended)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Drain and press as much water out of the tofu as possible. I usually wrap it in paper towels, put it on a cutting board on the sink, and put my moms cast iron pan on top of that. Leave it for awhile and then when you come back it should be all set!

You can get all fancy and cut your tofu into round shapes, but I find that wasteful. If you do it that way, you are left with all these little pieces of tofu. I cut mine into 6 equal parts, which goes perfectly with the 6 english muffins in a pack!

On a rimmed baking sheet, pour the apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt and mix together. Put the tofu on this mixture and coat both sides. Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes.

Toast the muffins, coat each side with Vegenaise, put a piece of tofu on top, put some cheeze if you have it, and eat!

Assembled:


Before cooking:


After cooking:

2 comments:

Susan said...

These look really, really good! Thanks for the pictures, too. Do these keep fairly well, if I was to make six on Sunday, and eat them through the week?

allicia said...

I'm sure they'll last for a few days, but I never really make it that far. Haha. Like this last time I made them, I had four for dinner and dessert, then two for breakfast the next day.