Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Pad Thai Review #2

As you may recall, I was going to do this awesome list of pad thai reviews for you. Well, this is the last in the series (also the second). I was going to review Trader Ming's Pad Thai Noodles & Sauce, but honestly I can't even get the courage to open it up. I had one before and I thought it was NASTY. The sauce is overly sweet, the noodles are weird and there are no vegetables. It's one of these shelf stable microwavable things from Trader Joe's. The last one I tried I had to add some peanut butter in order to make it more palatable, but even then I couldn't finish the whole thing. Plus it says it has 2 servings (yeah, right) at 260 calories each. If it were possible to get through the whole box that is a hefty 520 calories for someone to eat just for noodles and sauce.

Here's another review of this particular Pad Thai. The person reviewing it gave it a relatively good score, but it was mostly because of the box. Read the comments and you'll see how other people feel about it.


I was also going to review my favorite Pad Thai EVER, but the restaurant that made it no longer makes it. It was offered on the menu at The Living Earth (local health food store that had a cute little cafe inside). They recently renovated the whole place and added a brand new restaurant. While the new place is amazing and classy (I'll review that after I try a few more things), I miss their Pad Thai. It was perfect. They used roasted organic vegetables that were different every time. It was enough for two meals, so I always go to enjoy it more than once. I suppose I could try to recreate it, but I am trying to watch my weight a bit.

3 comments:

Alexandra (lean and strong) said...

Nice honest post! If I had access to a trader joe's, I would avoid it on that basis. Sounds awful, but good post nonetheless.

delia jones said...

thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll holmes :)

Dave said...

Classic example of TJs outsourcing a food item... you'll find basically the same item in normal grocery stores as 'Taste of Thai' or some such. Made by Near East maybe? Completely nasty... while I'm a huge TJs fan, some of their prepared food items are.. meh..