I've had a pretty lousy weekend, so food is the last thing on my mind right now.
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
It depends. I'm not going to choose an organic tomato from California over a local tomato from a town near here.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
Yep. Since I usually use it in things like Egg McVegans or Buffalo Tofu, I like to get out as much water as possible before putting it into hot oil.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
Poutine râpée. My grandmother and grandfather used to make this a lot when I was younger. It's not the fries covered in cheese curds, but rather a snowball shaped potato thing. We always served it with butter and salt. MMM.
5. Any food allergies?
Not that I'm aware of. I did see to have some weird things going on after I ate that pesto a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure if the basil had anything to do with it.
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
Grasshopper or Nancy Chang.
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
Filtered tap water.
9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
Anything I like is already out there.
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
Scrambled Hamburger and Kraft Mac n Cheese: Two recipes to delight you every other day of the week!
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
Ugh. I can only stand mushrooms once in a while, so I can't answer this one.
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
There is no room to do anything. The only space I have to prepare things on is the kitchen table, which is always at least half-covered with my mom's junk.
14. Last food you burned?
When I made Tofurkey last week, a bunch of onions fell out of the dish onto the bottom of the oven.
15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?":
Um...protein is in almost everything...
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
17. Favorite brand of ?
I usually just get the Price Chopper brand of semi-sweet chips.
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
A heavy duty food processor
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
Not at all. I'm awful at that, though I hope to one day get better. I think it would be easier if I lived on my own and not with my parents.
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?
I don't. I'll just drink some water or juice and have a rumbly tummy all day.
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win?
Probably Martha. She did spend time in jail. I'm sure she learned a few things.
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
24. Favorite late night snack?
Chips and salsa.
25. Favorite springtime food?
Fiddlehead ferns. I wish they were around longer.
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
Veg News? It has some food-related stuff in it.
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
Conventional soy sauce is what I typically have on hand.
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
Eggplant. Everything about it disgusts me.
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
I've been meaning to veganize my mom's sweet potato pie recipe. I should get on that this year finally.
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
Oprah. That woman has entirely too much power. I know she "went vegan" for a month, but it was more like a cleanse.